The long Easter weekend is finally here!
And, just in case you happen to have a little extra time on your hands, I have a great zero waste idea: planting seeds using egg shells.
It’s really simple and the end result is a cute Easter display of green shoots.
They make the perfect gift at this time of year!
What you will need:
- Empty egg shells
- Egg box/ container
- Potting soil
- Seeds – any of your choice!
- Rinse your egg shells and pierce the base with a small needle for drainage.
- Gently fill the shells with soil and plant your seeds below the surface.
- Place them in a container on a sunny windowsill and water them every few days.
- Wait for the green shoots to sprout!
Once ready to transplant outdoors, crush the shell so that roots can grow.
N.B. The egg shells will add calcium to your soil which is why they are traditionally great for composting!
Later in the year when my sunflowers are fully grown they will attract bees, birds and other wildlife. But, saying that, you really can try this idea with any variety of seed.
Let me know if I’ve inspired you to plant your own Easter egg plant pots and, as always, feedback is welcome in the comments section below.